Thursday, November 18, 2010

Who am I?

What factors of your native culture have informed your religious world view? Explain the impact of these factors:



Socrates once said "I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." In a strange way, this is who I am. I am someone who is not fooled by a good grade, for I know it is only a fraction of the knowledge to be learned in this world. I have experienced two cultures, and these two are the only ones I know well. I do not pretend to be an expert, for I know I am not. I do not claim either culture as my own, for I can not longer belong to just one, and yet, I cannot belong to both.
                                                 
Natively, I come from the culture that I have spent most of my time immersed in: North Carolinian culture. I was born and raised in The United States in Raleigh, North Carolina. Here I was home schooled and raised by loving, Christian parents. I grew up with three brothers two sisters, I was the fifth born out of six. I was raised to love others, love knowledge, and, ultimately, to love God. In this environment of being home schooled and church-going, my friends were nearly all Christians. However, it wasn't until I made the choice to accept Christ that my religious world views started to truly take form. All the things I'd been taught, the things I'd seen, and the values that had been instilled in me changed my neutral perspective to see the world through Christian eyes. Life in The States continued own while I clutched to what I've always known, and for the most part, I had no drastic change.When I was fifteen, my roots were shaken and I had to accept a drastic change, in every way. My parents were offered a job, a ministry, and an adventure. This adventure took as as far from our comfort zones as possible: South Korea.

Currently, I live in Daejon, South Korea and am experiencing this entirely new culture.I remain in a Christian environment, however, I face more challenges. Through the secular immersion I've experienced through a private school, I have seen another side of my world view. Because of the new exposure, I must define my view and my standards even more and choose what I believe is best. I've seen the other side of religion and world views. While this is not always a pretty site, it is one I must face. Because of this I can see the world in a new light of "religion", because I do not see my choice of Christianity as religion, but rather, a relationship with the one being who will never stop loving me, and that's God.

No comments:

Post a Comment