Thursday, December 2, 2010

Questions of Faith - Part Two

How do I relate to faith? How did Don Richardson relate to Faith? How do the Sawi relate to faith?

"Faith is the confidence in what we hope for and the assurance about what we do not see." This verse, from Hebrews 11:1, is the purest form of understanding for this concept of faith. In simpler words, Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This sums up my understanding of faith, and from this, I relate to faith in a personal way. 


Throughout my sixteen and a half years of life, only about 13 of them have been viewed through any concept of faith. I grew up in a Christian home and quickly adapted my own faith to my life. However, once I had my own faith I had to make choices in view of it. I had to hope and believe that what I read and what I was taught was the truth. I had to be sure of the metaphysical even when I had no physical proof. But that metaphysical faith became that proof, and from then own I can only relate to faith as a way of life. Faith is not just some object or subject to me, but rather something that allows me to trust in what I know. To me, it's how I live, and without it, hopelessness sets in. Faith is my light in the darkness. 

Don Richardson, a fellow Christian, seems to view faith in a similar way. However, Don Richardson lives his faith to it's limits, and then some. To him, faith isn't just a way of life, it's the way of life. His life can be described as one "leap of faith" after another. This man, who wholeheartedly loves God, takes God's call, regardless of the physical dangers. Don Richardson is driven by faith, it leads his life, and that's how it should be. In the heart of war he was helpless on his own, but his faith in God was all he needed. He trusted God 110%, and it paid off. Because of his incredible faith, God was able to use him to completely change the Sawi's view of faith.

The Sawi are, or were, by no means Christian. To them, faith was not belief in God or trust in his power. To them faith was fear. The Sawi constantly feared evil spirits that they faithfully believed were real. To the Sawi faith was a shunned lifestyle. Trust and belief of good will was thought of as foolish. If some one had faith, they would likely be killed because of it. An old Sawi tradition is "Tuwi asonai makaerin" Which is fattening someone, for the slaughter, with friendship. This taught the Sawi to live in opposition to faith. However the Sawi did have undying faith in one thing: The Peace Child. To the Sawi, the peace child was the most precious show of good faith. In this manner Don Richardson taught the Sawi to have true faith in the ultimate peace child: Jesus Christ. The Sawi's culture had finally been infiltrated by God's love, and from then on, the Sawi had a faith like Don's, a faith like mine: a faith in God.

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed at the power of God's love - that He can turn just one heart is astounding but a tribe - is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete